Pasta aglio e olio is the recipe that first set me on my obsession with making more authentic Italian pasta recipes. Its name literally means garlic and oil. Growing up for me there were only two kinds of pasta--red sauce and butter with cheese. This is the new version of pasta with cheese you should be serving your kids. It is a great way to introduce kids to something a little more complex, while still taking no more than 30 minutes. This is the ultimate recipes that is greater than the sum of its parts. A good kitchen also already has all these ingredients in the pantry.
-½ pound spaghetti
-½ head of garlic, chopped
-½ cup quality olive oil
-½ cup flat italian parsley, finely chopped
-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
-½ lemon juice
-Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring one large pot of salted water to a boil, cook pasta according to box instructions and reserve ½ cup of starchy pasta water.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat, add garlic and red pepper flakes and toast for no more than 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Drain pasta and add directly to pan with oil and toss to coat. Return to medium heat.
- Stir in lemon juice, parsley and pasta water.
- Stir to combine well and coat, salt and pepper well and serve in warm bowls.